08 June 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup

(I'm pretty sure this is the worst food picture I've ever taken and makes this soup look like death.)

Whoever invented the crockpot deserves a big hug of thanks from me and anyone else short on time and big on home cooking.  I love dumping everything into one pot, letting it cook on its own, then taking credit for making a delish dinner that's healthy to boot.

4 chicken breast halves
2 - 15 oz cans black beans, undrained
2 - 15 oz cans Mexican stewed tomatoes or Rotel tomatoes
1 cup salsa (any variety)
4 oz can chopped green chiles
14 1/2 oz can tomato sauce
Tortilla Chips
2 cups grated cheese (I like Reduced Fat Cheddar Cheese)

Combine all ingredients except chips and cheese in large slow cooker.
Cover. Cook on Low for 8 hours.
Just before serving, remove chicken and shred or slice into bite-sized pieces. Stir into soup.
To serve, put a handful of chips into each individual soup bowl. Ladle soup over chips. Top with cheese.

Hodge Podge's notes:
  • If you're getting corn chips, go with Organic-- corn is better for your digestive system when organic.
  • I like to lightly crush the chips into the bowl, and add a few on top for a crunchier texture.  Also, to make it a bit creamier, I suggest a dollop of light sour cream instead of or along with shredded cheese.


Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment