04 March 2012

German-Style Sausage Skillet


Are you hungry yet??

I originally found this Better Homes and Gardens recipe here as a fast, low-cal, during-the-week menu option and it just looked and sounded soooooooo delicious.  And that assessment isn't far from the truth (okay, it is the truth).

Because I'm 95% German/Austrian, this skillet called out to my meat, potato, and sauerkraut loving roots. Plus I never make German food... like ever.  It's always seemed (gasp!) bland-- my great grandmothers are rolling over in their graves at those words. Blandness is not an issue here. If you aren't sold on the mouthwatering photo or my testament, just know that it's a 35 minute, family-sized entree that's a little sweet, a little sour, and a lot savory.

Here's the recipe--


  • 1/2 cup sliced onion (1 medium)
  • 1 tablespoon cooking oil
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons stone-ground mustard
  • 1 20-ounce package refrigerated red potato wedges
  • 1 pound cooked smoked turkey sausage, cut into bite-size slices
  • 1 14-ounce can Bavarian-style sauerkraut*
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries (optional)

In a 12-inch skillet cook and stir onion in hot oil over medium-high heat for about 8 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle with flour. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.

Stir in apple cider, broth, and mustard. Add potato wedges, sausage pieces, and sauerkraut. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or until thickened and bubbly and potatoes are tender. If desired, stir cranberries into the sausage mixture. Spoon sausage mixture into dishes; serve immediately. Makes 6 servings.

*Note: If Bavarian-style sauerkraut is unavailable, substitute one 14.5-ounce can sauerkraut plus 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds.

Hodge Podge notes...I used organic apple juice that I seasoned with the William-Sonoma cinnamon spice blend to resemble cider.

I also followed the directions and made my own Bavarian style sauerkraut-- highly recommend. Don't just used plain kraut as it lacks the flavor necessary in this dish.

Instead of turkey sausage, I accidentally bought actual precooked bratwurst (thought I was buying turkey brats-- I do this kind of thing ALL the time), which was delish and definitely an option if you have leftover brats from a cookout... or you just love the real thing.  

I didn't spend the $5 for precut potato wedges, just use 3-5 scrubbed red potatoes and save your pennies.

And finally-- If you have them at home, add the dried cranberries!  I always keep a bag around because I love them on salads & oatmeal, they offer a great balance of sweet to the skillet. Also, don't add them at the end, put them in when you add the sausage and let simmer. They get juicy. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment