21 January 2011

Quick-Fire Film Review

I haven't done this in a while-- mainly because I don't go to the theaters anymore due to overcharging-- but lately I've rented plenty of movies and TV shows so it's high time to offer up a few recommendations.

  The A-Team
Not. That. Great.  Honestly, if you can see it for free-- do it, otherwise save your money for one of the other options on this list that's worth watching .  It's your typical action film: predictable, a little too long for it's own good, and oozing with cheesy dialogue.
 Lie to Me
I know this show has been on FX for three seasons now, but thanks to the magic of Netflix instant streaming you can watch seasons 1 & 2 and love them as much as I do.  Though some episodes can be slightly predictable at times, a show about the Science of Lies (or more appropriately the Science of Truth) is intelligent, gripping, and even a bit fun.  Tim Roth's performance as the deliciously eccentric Dr. Lightman is underrated but fabulous to watch, and the show doesn't get so tied up with the characters' personal lives that is becomes melodramatic.

 The American
I liked it, though the film requires another viewing.  George Clooney is excellent as a seasoned assassin with plenty of paranoia and little to say.  Although the story moves slowly, the performances and story are interesting.







The Sons of Anarchy

What a cool show about a bad ass biker gang and their "old ladies." Excellent anti-heroes, the plot has plenty of twists and turns, and there is just enough violence and profanity.  A must see.     
       
 The Other Guys
Although I never would've chosen to watch this film myself, my husband's rental pick actually ended up being hilarious.  What else can I say? It's ridiculous but quotable and will get funnier the more you watch it.

The Social Network
I liked it. The acting was good, the topic is a great illustration of how culture changed within a couple years of Facebook landing on the scene, even if the story is skewed from the truth.  Did the film change my life?  Is it one of the best films I've ever scene?  Nope.  I get the controversy of making a "based on a true story" film while the main character is 25 and thriving, but overall I saw the film once, enjoyed it, and feel no need to see it again.

Easy A
Love it.  Emma Stone is hilarious and charming, the story is great and not at all cheesy.  Also another film relevant to our current culture.  It's one of the best comedies I've seen in a LONG time.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I completly disagree with your review of 'The Other Guys'. For the first 30-45 minutes it was hilarious, but then as Jen just said, it lost its identity. Was it romantic, funny, serious? It was schizophrenic and way too long. After an hour to an hour and a half I walked away. Mark-e-Mark is not a great comedic performer and I found that it went in too many directions and, sadly like most Will Farrell films these days, tried too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can respect that. I went into the film with extraordinarily low expectations, especially since I'm not a Will Ferrell or Mark Wahlberg fan. We quote it a lot at home and M. is always cracking up so that's probably what's funny about it.

    Terry Hoitz: What is this?
    Allen Gamble: Its my car, Its a Prius.
    Terry Hoitz: I feel like we're literally driving around in a vagina.

    Captain Gene Mauch: You know what, I'm going to hang on to the wooden gun.
    Allen Gamble: To give me back my real gun?
    Captain Gene Mauch: No. I'm going to give you this: it's a rape whistle. You blow that if you're in any trouble, and someone with an actual gun will come and help you out.

    ReplyDelete