12 April 2012

Hot Ham and Cheese Buns

Please excuse poor lighting and my phone's camera for the greenish hue of this photo. I promise this looks more delectable than it does right here.


Anyway, Hot Ham and Cheese Buns.

I confess, I didn't always like these as I hated green olives from high school through college. Until I learned how delicious they could be in whiskey. Phase over.

The ingredients might sound a little strange-- chili sauce, green olives, mayo, green onions, egg-- will these work as a group? Won't one flavor overpower the other?  No, I say, no!

And if you hadn't guessed... these aren't the healthiest sandwiches... okay, they're not healthy at all. However, they make GREAT party sandwiches because they're meant to be wrapped individually in aluminum foil and baked. So you can make these a few days before a party, freeze them, take them out the morning of and pop them in the oven. Just make a double batch because your guests will want at least two.

Ingredients:

3 Tbsp mayonnaise (Smart Balance is a decent health choice)
2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1/2 cup chili sauce
1/2 cup pimento stuffed green olives
1/2 lb. sliced deli ham, chopped
1/3 cup green onions, chopped
8oz sharp cheddar, shredded
12 whole wheat or buttercrust buns

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Add all ingredients together, blending with mayo and chili sauce. Spread on buns, wrap in foil, twisting securely. Bake for 10 minutes.

**If you're like me and feel AWFUL about wasting so much foil and how bad it is for the environment, I recommend baking the sandwiches open faced, baking the tops for 5 minutes and the bottoms with the filling for the full 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment