28 November 2010

Thanksgiving: Here and Gone

As usual, the Holidays are flying by and time seems fleeting as we all gather with loved ones to celebrate joy, peace, and love. The moment from the day before Thanksgiving until December 25th is my absolute favorite time of year-- especially in the Midwest. Temperatures slide down below freezing and those magical little flakes of glistening white build up on the ground and create a world of magic.

And everyone is in a better mood. More smiles light faces, more "pleases" and "thank yous" leave those smiling lips, and God's presence flows through the Christmas lights, shiny ornaments, wrapped packages, and sugar cookies. We sing carols, decorate trees, shop for that perfect gift that'll bring just the right amount of joy to a friend's face, and I love every minute of it.

Although this world is harsh and life is hard, I am thankful for every breath and every step God gives me. For a husband who loves every inch of my mutated body, inside and out, not to mention all of my issues, and a cat with a quirky personality who (although he won't show it) misses us when we leave and loves when we come home. For family. I am blessed with the most incredible set of aunts, uncles, cousins, and immediate family members that a girl could ever want. Plus my Grandma... one of the most amazing women in the world-- I learn so much from her. And friends who share in the laughter, love, and embrace my weirdness with open arms.

I am thankful for continuing opportunities; for trials and tribulations that make me stronger; for enemies and the ability to pray for them; for hearth and home.

Most of all, I am grateful for God and the love He has introduced into my life. Happy Holidays.

3 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Dear! It is the most wonderful time of the year if you don't have to work at the bakery packing cookie boxes! I forgot how glorious and fun it can be to buy presents for others and truly enjoy the lights and music. I've worked the past four years from Thanksgiving through New Years and the season becomes tinged with anxiety and fatigue. I'm so excited to have a year to enjoy the delights of the season.

    I love our family too! We should make a new holiday tradition of having a kitchen table talk with the matriarchs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! Matriarch Round Tables must become a tradition!

    And I am glad you will finally have a chance to enjoy the holidays more and soak up the Spirit. The Bakery and its... patrons can definitely wear down your holiday enthusiasm. I love your blog-- keep it up! The only problem is I now have an even LONGER reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hear, hear! I triple the motion for Matriarch Round Tables! Should we invite grandma this time? If so, I'm afraid no one else will... :)

    ReplyDelete