30 October 2012

Halloween Movies for Wusses

With Halloween approaching (like... TOMORROW) and most of us hungover from weekend celebrations, this Wednesday will be the perfect evening for sweet treats and scary movies.

But what if you don't like scary movies? Personally, I don't mind a little suspense or something popping up from God knows where, but blood and gore has absolutely no appeal. Zero. Nada. Nothing. So I've compiled a list of awesome Scary and Not-So-Scary Halloween films for families and those of us uninterested in seeing what a body looks like when some vengeful spirit's hook runs through it.

For Families:

 
Starting with It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown just makes sense because who doesn't love Snoopy and the Gang? As a fan of Full House, I'm aware the Olsen Twins lack... skills... in the acting department, but I always enjoyed Double Double, Toil and Trouble-- it's sweet!

 
Moving into the animated realm, we have Scooby-Doo and the Ghoul School and Walt Disney's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Despite the collection of both cartoon and live action Scooby-Doo films that exist in the world, I lost count how many times my brothers and I watched Ghoul School. It's my favorite Scooby-Doo movie.
Bing Crosby and the music from Sleepy Hollow make this Disney short a great addition to your Halloween library.

 
If you are a Child of the 90's, I'm pretty sure you've seen at least one Ernest movie, and there's a good chance it was Scared Stupid because it's the best. Definitely save this for the older children, those trolls are creepy!
And of course, the best Halloween movie EVER MADE: Hocus Pocus. It's funny, scary, quotable, and has a great cast. 

Kids Halloween Movies that scarred me as a child: 

I think someone over at Disney had a great laugh when they labeled Something Wicked This Way Comes a "family" film. I still get creeped out every time I think of the carousel and the tarantulas...
Same goes for The Witches. These two films scared the POOP out of me so bad that I haven't watched them since my childhood.  A third film comes to mind: The Watcher in the Woods. While I own it now, it's actually a lot slower and not as scary I thought... so maybe that holds true for the other two...???

For Grown-Ups:


This is harder because everyone's tastes are different. If you like suspense, you can't go wrong with Hitchcock. These 3 are favorites of mine--


If you prefer horror without the gore on Halloween, stick to the classics. You can go with the original Universal Monsters--


Or anything starring Vincent Price--

  

If you like movies with a bit of blood and disturbing moments of terror, you can always look to the 70's for some great films.


For those that want to have a little fun this Halloween...


There you go, a selection of films fit for this spooky holiday. Or you can do what I plan and watch all the Halloween episodes of your favorite TV shows!


So... what will you be watching?



No comments:

Post a Comment