14 April 2010

My 10 Favorite Film Actresses of Yesteryear

Rosalind Russell. "Auntie Mame" and "His Girl Friday"-- need I say more?

Though you may know her as 'Jane' in the Tarzan films, I know Maureen O' Sullivan as another Jane-- Jane Bennett from my first ever encounter with the story of "Pride and Prejudice." Not to mention she's also a part of my fave "The Thin Man." The camera loves her, and director's love her more with her varying talent. Check out the Marx Brothers' "Day at the Races" too!

Here's another Maureen O: Maureen O'Hara. Why, you ask? "The Parent Trap," "Miracle on 34th Street," and "Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation."

Who doesn't love "Casablanca?!" The lovely Ingrid Bergman shines in this film classic, and always seemed to me someone I'd love to get to know. Here is some more work of hers for you to check out: "Spellbound," "Notorious," and "The Bells of St. Mary's."

Judy Garland-- such a bittersweet life. Despite the trouble and tragedy during her life, Judy Garland is an icon from the Hollywood Golden Age, with an irreplaceable pout and unforgettable voice. I am one of the few people that does not like "The Wizard of Oz," but I can't deny its impact on film history. My number one choice of Garland films is "Meet Me in St. Louis"-- absolutely wonderful.

Audrey Hepburn needs no introduction. I love the way her eyes reflect a deeper, soulful woman behind that fresh, innocent face. My favorites of hers include "My Fair Lady," "Breakfast at Tiffany's," "Funny Face," "Charade," and for some suspense "Wait Until Dark."

From comedy to drama to film noir, Miss Barbara Stanwyck can do it all and then some. I highly recommend "The Lady Eve" and "Double Indemnity" if you want to see a vixen in action.

Myrna Loy is the costar of my favorite film couple: Nick and Nora Charles from "The Thin Man" series. From her excellent comic timing to her carefully penciled in eyebrows, Loy is one put together package. Check out "The Thin Man," "The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer," and "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House."
Princess Grace. Need I say more? But I will because I have a few films to recommend: "High Society" (the hysterical musical adaptation of "The Philadelphia Story"), "To Catch a Thief," and "Dial 'M' for Murder."
Everything about Katharine Hepburn screams AMAZING. Beautiful, elegant, intelligent, and full of spunk, she is who comes to mind when thinking of the Hollywood Golden Age. Though there isn't a bad Katharine Hepburn film, a few of my favorites are "The Philadelphia Story," "Adam's Rib," "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner," and "Bringing Up Baby."

No comments:

Post a Comment